Friday, February 25, 2011

What's old is new again...

Well, I'm back on Slackware 13.1. I grew a little dissatisfied with Xubuntu, so one nice Friday afternoon I burned the Arch Linux ISO to disc, and commenced to re-image my system. I don't know why I keep trying Arch, every time I do, I realize what a mistake that was. The install doesn't bother me, and using pacman isn't difficult, but I always have overwhelming hardware issues for some reason. Perhaps my computer just doesn't like the x86-64 version of Arch. Who knows.

Anyway, like I said, by that Sunday morning, I was growing increasingly ticked-off at my Arch install, so I blew it away and installed Slackware 13.1 again. Ahhh. Something about Slackware just sits right with me. I need to just stop messing around with other distros, and stick with Slackware.

After the initial install, I ran "slackpkg update && slackpkg upgrade-all", and then installed the slackbuild packages I had built last year. Only about a hand full needed to be rebuilt, due to the Slackware upgrades, so it was fairly painless. I've got just about everything I need on here now, so for a while, it should be smooth sailing.

At the end of last month, I finally got around to creating a Subversion repository on my file server. I've been wanting to for several years now (first, cvs, then Subversion). Following the instructions in my Subversion book (that I've had for over two years!!!), I was easily able to integrate it with the Apache webserver running on that host as well. It took me a couple of hours to format all of my old projects, from the past 13 or so years, and import them, but it is done. Finally!

I'm really looking forward to the release of Slackware 13.2 in a month or two (hopefully!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment